Celebrate Media 2011 supports local non-profits: Tickets available now
The 2011 Celebrate Media event will take place on November 9th-11th at the Media Theatre. All proceeds from the event will benefit non-profits in Media.
- Wednesday November 9, 7:00 PM – $10/ticket. Children 12 and under are free. coEXISTdance Company: An innovative modern dance collective whose movements connect the “real” and “artistic” worlds in ways never before imagined. Buy tickets now.
- Thursday, November 10th, 5:00 PM and 7:30 PM – $15/ticket. Upper Darby Sousa Band: An unforgettable patriotic concert experience under the direction of Thomas J. Hoey. All proceeds from this event benefit veterans organizations. Buy tickets now.
- Friday, November 11th, 7:30 PM – $20/ticket. Blackthorn: Irish rock band Blackthorn has been winning over live audiences in the Philadelphia region for over 20 years with their contemporary take on traditional Irish and original songs. The McHugh School of Irish Dance will also be performing before the show and during intermission. The evening starts at 7:30pm. Buy tickets now
The Celebrate Media event is due to the work of Councilwoman Dawn Roe, as part of the Economic Development Committee, who organized the event this year.
The origin of the event was based on funding given to the Media Theatre in 2010 for a Community Block Development Grant (CBDG) of $16,000 paid to Linn Architects to receive approximately $200,000 in funds to renovate the Media Theatre. The theatre paid back $4,000 and gave Media Borough 4 nights at $3,000 per night this year as an “in-kind” payment, a total cost of $12,000 to the borough.
Ms. Roe then fought to get an additional $7,000 at a special meeting to pay for the band and advertising for the event.
The event will benefit many non-profits in town, as long as they participate with help in promoting and managing the event:
- Media Arts Council
- Media Business Authority
- America’s First Fair Trade Town Committee
- Media Borough Recreation Committee
- Media Fire Company
- Media-Upper Providence Free Library
- Media Farmers Market
- Media Fellowship House
- Media Youth Center
- Media Historical Society
- Transition Town Media