Radical Mycology To Present Workshops About The Uses And Benefits Of Mushrooms
RELEASE – On September 7, Transition Town Media will be hosting two mushroom related workshops: “Mushroom ID for a Healthy Planet”and “Putting the FUN in Fungi.”
These workshops will be taught by members of Radical Mycology, an international volunteer organization that educates the public about the uses and benefits of fungi.
What: Mycology Workshops: “Mushroom ID for a Healthy Planet” and “Putting the FUN in Fungi”
When: Sunday, September 7 from 2pm – 5:30pm
Where: Providence Friends Meeting (105 N Providence Rd, Media, PA 19063)
Who: Open to the public; “Putting the FUN in Fungi” is designed for children ages 7 and older
Cost: donation is encouraged ($10 suggested)
Workshop 1: “Mushroom ID for a Healthy Planet”
- This workshop will introduce participants to the core skills for mushroom identification and how to use this knowledge to increase personal and community resilience.
- The workshop will begin with a lecture component and end with a mushroom foray in a nearby park where participants will get to utilize the knowledge that they’ve learned.
- To help make the event accessible to all members of the larger Media community, workshop will be donation-based.
Workshop 2: “Putting the FUN in Fungi”
- This special workshop is designed for children ages 7 and up.
- Through games and activities, children will learn how to answer questions like, “What do mushrooms eat,” “What does it mean to be a decomposer,” and “How can we work with mushrooms to clean water and soil?”
- After the games and activities, children will be able to go on the mushroom foray with the adults.
Radical Mycology North American Tour
The collaborative event between Transition Town Media and the Radical Mycology Collective is part of Radical Mycology’s 3-month tour across North America. Radical Mycology, a volunteer-based organization and grassroots movement, is dedicated to educating the world on the positive benefits of the fungal kingdom for personal, societal, and ecological health.
The 2014 tour will promote their upcoming book, Radical Mycology and the third annual Radical Mycology Convergence, an organizational conference. The tour will teach the skills and theories behind the Radical Mycology movement.
“Our goal is to build a grassroots movement and network of people that work with fungi as allies in their efforts for a more sustainable and ecologically just future,” says Radical Mycology co-founder Peter McCoy.
Radical Mycology co-founder Maya Elson notes that, “Our past educational events, such as the Radical Mycology Convergences, have been very well attended and supported. People are ready for powerful solutions for personal, societal and ecological health that they can practice in their backyards, with or without the support of big institutions. We’re very excited to be taking the next step towards making these solutions a reality all over the US and the world.”
As part of the 2014 Radical Mycology tour, the Media workshops will further empower people with the skills and information they need to work with the fungi to create positive and lasting change.
About Transition Town Media
Transition Town Media is a group of residents aiming to find community-based (vs. government or corporate driven) solutions to the world’s most pressing problems – to build community resilience in response to climate change, peak oil, and economic instability.
To learn more visit www.transitiontownmedia.org.
About Radical Mycology
Radical Mycology is a movement and social philosophy based on the belief that the life cycles of fungi and their interactions in nature serve as powerful learning tools for how humans can best relate to each other and steward the world they live in. The Radical Mycology Collective organizes educational events and disseminates free literature and other media on the many uses of fungi for personal, societal, and ecological health.
To learn more visit www.radicalmycology.com, or call us at 360.561.5612.